Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Another blow for the All Whites


Hot on the heels of news that Shane Smeltz is unlikely to be available for the All Whites' World Cup qualifier in November, goalkeeper Mark Paston has hung up his gloves; Stuff reports:


After retiring from the Wellington Phoenix at the end of last season, All Whites goalkeeper Mark Paston has announced his retirement from international duty. 
Paston - who won 35 "A" caps for New Zealand - left the door open for the All Whites, but after taking a few months to evaluate his situation he has decided to officially retire from international football. 
"Since retiring from the Phoenix I haven't really missed playing football and that was a pretty good sign that it was time to move on," said Paston. 
"I've been given an opportunity in a new career doing something that I enjoy and my energy is focused in that direction at the moment." 
"A World Cup campaign takes a huge amount of time and energy and I feel if I can't give it the commitment it deserves then it's time to step aside." 
Paston retires with the All Whites set to play the intercontinental playoff against the fourth-best team from North and Central America, with the winner advancing to World Cup Brazil next year. 
"I think they have a fantastic chance to qualify again", said Paston on the All Whites' chances for a second successive World Cup appearance.
"I would like to say thank you to the fans and everyone that I have worked with over the years. It hasn't always gone well for me with injuries but I wouldn't have changed anything so it's great to be able to say thank you very much." 

Mark Paston has been a fantastic servant of New Zealand football, but his retirement isn't a huge surprise given that he is no longer playing top-level club football. Who will ever forget his penalty save against Bahrain at Wellington in November 2009? Sure, it wasn't the best penalty ever taken, but Paston saved it, and New Zealand won the match and a place at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

And in South Africa, Paston was superb; here's the FIFA highlights reel:




That the All Whites were the only team at the 2010 World Cup not to be beaten was due in no small measure to Mark Paston's bravery and skill. He played a blinder on football's biggest stage. It's sad that we won't see a repeat performance in Brazil next year.

We wish Mark Paston well for his new career and life after football. He has well and truly paid his dues, and his legend status is well deserved; he is part of New Zealand footballing folklore.

No comments:

Post a Comment