Today he has made a pretty significant announcement about which he blogs at his Your Dunedin blog. We've taken the liberty of republishing his full post which is entitled Pete George standing for mayor of Dunedin:
My nomination for mayor of Dunedin has been accepted. There are now eight mayoral candidates, with nominations closing at noon today (Friday 16 August). Listed on the DCC website:
A healthy democracy has keenly contested elections, and I will be contesting this with determination.
- Dwyer, Kevin
- Whiley, Andrew Independent
- Cull, Dave Greater Dunedin
- Hawkins, Aaron Green Dunedin
- Calvert, Hilary
- George, Pete Your Dunedin
- Vandervis, Lee Independent
- Lequeux, Olivier
It’s your Dunedin, I think you deserve better representation – a mayor who can raise the aims and efforts of council, and reach out to the people of Dunedin far better with modern communication along with good old fashioned personal contact.
I have been encouraged by positive feedback and good advice, and it was apparent that my campaign priorities and strengths could be applied more effectively as mayor. So I will campaign on the same policies for mayor as for council, and see if the voters respond.
Priorities will be establishing far better communication with the people of Dunedin, using local MP, Government and party contacts better to promote Dunedin and Otago interests, and employment and regional development.
I have the drive and determination to do well.
I have been researching better democracy, applying politics and use of social media for the past five years. Standing in the 2011 election was a part of this process. Now is the right time to apply what I have learnt.
I welcome any opportunity to talk about my mayoral bid – contact details:
I think the incumbent mayor has been ok but Dunedin can do better. Dunedin should do better. I can contribute to that significantly.
- Mobile 027 327 3469
- Home 03 471 2122
- Email petedgeorge@gmail.com
Pete George candidate profile – Mayor
Your Dunedin mayor.
I am skilled at bringing people together promoting good decisions and solutions – with a fresh approach.
I pledge to put in place a means of communication with people of Dunedin through social media and regular public meetings so we can do democracy better, where everyone has a chance to be heard. I will inform, listen, and represent people, organisations and businesses.
Employment and business development are key issues. We must be proactive in securing Dunedin and Otago interests, before it’s too late. This must be balanced by social and environmental responsibilities.
I will establish better communication and representation with your Dunedin MPs, central government and all parties through my political contacts.
In council I will push for responsible use of ratepayer’s money. Spend smarter, not just more.
For a mayor, council and the people in a more inclusive partnership please vote for me. Your Dunedin mayor.
We commend Pete for putting his money where his mouth is. Local government is an important part of our democracy, and whilst Pete may not be everyone's cup of tea, he is at least offering voters choice, and that is important. We wish him well with his campaign.
In the meantime, there's just an hour as we type this until nominations for the local elections close. And the burning question in Wanganui is "Will he or won't he?". We think you probably know who we mean, and we fervently hope that the answer is the latter part of the question!
No comments:
Post a Comment